Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Am I Responsible For My Ex Husbands Student Loans?

Student Loans

Penny M. from Oregon asked: I’m an older woman who wants to go to College. I have two kids that are 10 and 13. My problem is that every time I apply for student loans, they decline me because of some outstanding student loans that are my ex-husbands. I’ve been told by more than several of these loan companies that since we were married, I’m responsible for half of these loans. It doesn’t seem fair that I can’t get a Student Loan because my ex-husband didn’t pay off his $30,000 student loans. I can’t afford to pay these loans myself and my ex husband refuses to pay on them. How can I get money to go to College?

Student Loan Advice: Well Penny, that all depends. This is one area that I’m a little vague on, having never went through a divorce myself. Hopefully I can steer you in the right direction to get some help on whether or not you’re responsible for your ex husbands student loans.

First off though, it sounds like you had this debt when you were married? Why weren’t you paying on it then? Or were you and your husband just planning on stiffing the student loan lender? And now you’re wondering why they won’t give you a loan? Penny…Penny…Penny!

From what I understand, if this debt was not taken care of in bankruptcy court and the court didn’t state who was to pay it, then yes you liable for part, half or maybe all of it if he decides not to pay it. There is a chance you might be able to take him back to court and get the debt put on him, but you’ll need to talk to an attorney to see what all your options are concerning this debt. I think having him refinance the student loans or getting a home equity loan to pay them off would be a good thing if you and your attorney decide that’s the way to go.

Here a few of my thoughts on it. Nothing concrete, just my gut feeling having dealt with education loans and other types of debt.

It’s possible you may be able to pay them something even if its fifty bucks a month. After a while you may be able to get them to give you a student loan.

But if none of the above is an option, then you’ll have to resort to going to night school and paying for it yourself. During that time, get really chummy with your Teachers and Counselors. After a semester or two, start asking them about scholarships and grants that may be available to you.

Once you’ve made yourself a better candidate you can apply for scholarships and merit loans. Scholarships are generally free money for school and merit loans are generally based upon your academic worth rather then your credit situation.

You can still get your education, but it will likely be more difficult. If you really want it, you’ll find a way to get it. It’s likely that it will take you a little longer, but it’s still attainable. Probably the first step is taking action to get your ex husbands student loans paid off or at least starting to pay on them.

Filed Under financial aid | Leave a Comment

Tagged With Butget, Divorce, divorce cout, Dollar Loan, ex husbands student loans, Lifetime, Pmts, student loan, Student Loans


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment